RE: st: Cluster analysis variables - bug?

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Cluster analysis variables - bug?
Date   Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:27:08 +0100

I am not clear why your messages appear twice [this
one] or three times [previous one].

I can't see your data. It helps to discuss problems using
datasets that everyone can play with. I don't really
care two hoots about those auto data, but they do serve
a very useful purpose.

I answered your previous email briefly because I was very busy
with something else, but a scatter plot answered the question w.r.t. the one example I tried with the auto data.

It was something like

. cluster kmeans mpg weight, k(2) name(c1)

Otherwise, bug claims are difficult to discuss without specifics
of precisely what you think is wrong. Output you don't understand
is not necessarily buggy.

I am not an expert on -cluster-, so you may need to wait for
someone who is.

Ricardo Ovaldia

Thank you Nick. But I am not sure that helps. Both
variables are discrete taking the values 1, 2 and 3.
(I specific 3 clusters). Every value of -C1- appears
for every value of -cluster-. I am at lost.

| c1
cluster | 1 2 3 |
Total
-----------+---------------------------------+----------
1 | 71 90 17 |
178
2 | 4 200 596 |
800
3 | 123 164 5 |
292
-----------+---------------------------------+----------
Total | 198 454 618 |
1,270

> --- Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A scatter plot of the two variables may
> > throw light on this.
> >
> > Nick
> > [email protected]
> >
> > Ricardo Ovaldia
> >
> > > This may be a very simple question, but I can't
> > find
> > > the answer. Doing a cluster analysis I typed:
> > >
> > > . cluster kmeans q4_*, k(3) name(c1)
> s(kr(67492))
> > >
> > > I get two new variables -c1- and -cluster-.
> These
> > are
> > > different. Could someone please tell me what is
> > the
> > > difference between these two variables? Which
> one
> > is
> > > the cluster indicator.

*