RE: st: difference between -treatreg- and -ivreg-

Subject   RE: st: difference between -treatreg- and -ivreg-
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2007 21:11:07 +0100

Kyle et al.,

This part of the picture.  treatreg tries to get efficiency gains by
modelling the equation with the binary endogenous variable as a probit;
it is, in effect, a system estimator. ivreg (or ivreg2) is a
single-equation estimator.  The usual robustness-vs-efficiency tradeoff
applies: if the probit eqn is misspecified, treatreg will be
inconsistent, including the main equation; if it's correctly specified,
it's more efficient than IV.  But IV will be consistent in both cases.

For more details and some other options, see my other posting.

Cheers,
Mark