RE: st: Binomial regression

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Binomial regression
Date   Sun, 5 Aug 2007 17:15:53 +0100

Two suggestions re binomial regression:

Suggestion 1: For what it's worth, confidence intervals for risk differences (in some cases) can be reported using the -somersd- package, downloadable from SSC using the -ssc- command. Given 2 binary (0,1) variables x and y, the user can type

somersd x y, transf(z) tdist

and get a confidence interval for the risk difference

Pr(y==1|x==1) - Pr(y==1|x==0)

This method has the advantage (compared to -binreg-, -glm- etc) of using the Normalizing and variance-stabilizing hyperbolic arctangent or z-transformation, recommended by Edwardes (1995) for the general Somers' D for binary X-variates (including the special case where the y-variate is also binary).

If there is a categorical confounding variable w, then the user can type

somersd x y, transf(z) tdist wstrata(w)

and get a confidence interval for a within-strata risk difference for pairs of observations with the same value of w. The user can alternatively specify multiple categorical confounding w-variables, and/or w-variables which specify propensity groups based on a propensity score for x==1 calculated from multiple confounding variables.

Suggestion 2: To output confidence intervals for baseline odds with confidence intervals for odds ratios, the user can specify a baseline variate of ones, and then enter it into the model with the -noconst- option. For instance, the user can type:

gene byte baseline=1
logit y baseline x, noconst or

This trick can also be used with geometric means and their ratios. See Newson (2003).

I hope this helps.

Roger

References

Edwardes, M. D. d. B. 1995. A confidence interval for Pr(X < Y) − Pr(X > Y) estimated from simple cluster samples. Biometrics 51: 571–578.

Newson R. 2003. Stata tip 1: The eform() option of regress. The Stata Journal 3(4): 445. Download post-publication update from
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/papers.htm

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute