st: JSM 2007: Disappointed by Stata

From   "Raphael Fraser" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: JSM 2007: Disappointed by Stata
Date   Sat, 4 Aug 2007 23:09:23 -0500

The Joint Statistical Meeting (JSM) held in Salt Lake City July 29 -
August 2, 2007, Utah was a disappointment in one sense. Stata was
nowhere to be found. The so-called big guns were all there including
SAS, SPSS and many other stats packages but no Stata. And I ask my
self why? Especially since a new version is out. I recall leaving the
conference one afternoon when I ran into a SAS programmer from SAS. I
mentioned Stata and he said, "never heard of it." He truly wasn't
aware of Stata. I felt hurt. I hope that encounter was by pure chance
and does not reflect the reality. And I think StataCorp owes me an
explanation as to why they were not present at the LARGEST meeting of
statisticians in North America. We had people attending from as far as
Australia and China. Which made my trip from Jamaica seem
insignificant.

StataCorp? I am listening!

Regards,
Raphael