st: R: RE: Number Needed to be Treated (NNT)

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: RE: Number Needed to be Treated (NNT)
Date   Fri, 3 Aug 2007 20:19:19 +0200

Dear Robert,

thanks  a lot for Your Kind and helpul answer to my query and for the
reference as well.

Kind Regards,

Carlo

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Riffenburgh,
Robert H CIV
Inviato: venerd� 3 agosto 2007 18.42
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: st: RE: Number Needed to be Treated (NNT)

Dear Carlo--
I was away at JSM 2007 in SLC when you wrote this query and just
returned. I have also read the answers to date. If you need NNT
calculations under simple assumptions, you can do them using di more
easily than going to commands designed for other purposes. You were
referred to formulas in the clinical trials literature. More
specifically, you can find the formulas on pp 437-440 in the book
"Statistics in Medicine, 2nd Ed", Robert H Riffenburgh, 2006, Elsevier,
which is sold by Stata. If you don't have the book available, I will be
glad to send you the formulas that include NNT, cost per detection,
number needed to benefit, and confidence interval (assuming normality).
(Use [email protected].) If you have more involved issues in the NNT arena,
please refer to the very helpful comments of others on Tuesday through
Thursday. (My personal thanks to Ronan Conroy for the charming NTN
note.)
Bob Riffenburgh