Re: st: What machine to run Stata

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What machine to run Stata
Date   Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:30:28 -0400

I faced this same question with a similar budget recently,
and after gazing longingly at Linux for a while settled on
a dual core PC running 64-bit XP. I ended up with 16gb RAM
but to fit your budget you'd probably have to stop at 12gb.

Xp64 is a bit flaky, if you are doing 100% stata I would go
with Linux, but I wanted the option to run a few apps (eg,
MlWin) that don't have Linux executables.

hth,
Jeph

Bromiley, Philip wrote:
After struggling with xtabond using a 32 bit windows machine [not enough
available RAM for the instruments], I am considering buying a machine
largely to run Stata.  I'm thinking of spending about $3500.

Does anyone have suggestions on machines and operating systems? I've
been using windows, but back in the dark ages I used ms-dos and various
mainframes.

Thank you.

Phil

Phil Bromiley