Re: st: Using 2 stage Heckmen Sample Selection with Lags in STATA

From   "Seema Bhatia" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Using 2 stage Heckmen Sample Selection with Lags in STATA
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:17:32 +0100

Dear Austin

To answer you questions on non random data - I did ANOVA for the data and
that revealed that this pattern is non random. I know that endogeneity is a
problem, however, for me missing values is a greater problem and therefore
endogeniety has taken a back seat - there is enough complication within my
dataset to be able to deal a few problems at a time. Therefore although I
agree with you on the use of IV, it is the Heckman Sample Selection that is
priority. To be honest, how many pure exogenous instruments are out there
anyway? There is a lot of debate in trade literature about these models and
the current methodology seems to be best suited for the analysis.

It has been suggested to me that I use lags in order to take care of the
endogeniety issue but right now I will leave that a while too while I work
out other issues.

As far as the Hausman test goes, I used the same model that I intend to use
in my analysis (bilateral trade as a function of gdps, populations,
distance, contiguity, membership of agreements, infrastructure indices etc)
and tested for fixed effects, then random effects. therefore

xtreg dependentvar independentvar1 independentvar2 independentvar3 ... , fe
then
xtreg dependentvar independentvar1 independentvar2 independentvar3 ... , re

having stored both these, i went on to do the hausman test and got an
insignificant P-value, therefore justifying the use of random effects model.

Am not familiar with the ssc inst mim or a lot of statistical jargon to be
honest so wouldn't have a clue!

thanks

seema