Re: st: Using 2 stage Heckmen Sample Selection with Lags in STATA

From   "Seema Bhatia" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Using 2 stage Heckmen Sample Selection with Lags in STATA
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:38:22 +0100

Hi Austin

Thanks for your input.

In my case, bilateral trade between a country pair (Xij) is measured as
import value (CIF import values in US$ deflated by the appropriate price
deflator) i.e. exports from country j are imports into country i as it is
done in a standard gravity model. this bilateral trade in sub Saharan Africa
is being modelled as a function of gdps, populations, distance,
landlockedness, contiguity, some calculated infrastructure indices and
regional trade groups etc. in order to study the impact of trade agreements
within the region.

In terms of the missing data, I am lucky to have data for a lot of the
country pairs since these are all in Sub Saharan Africa where data is a huge
issue, particularly those that are war torn and in the early years of my
analysis (1985-1994). I have scouted all possible datasources and compiled
the import values where missing.

There are two issues with the missing data. There are both zeroes or no data
available for several country pairs over the years. Since my major data
source has made that distinction specifically, I have decided that zero will
be an answer (meaning there was zero trade) while I still need to account
for the missing values/not reported (meaning we dont know if there was trade
or not) data - the pattern for this is non random which is why I am keen on
using a sample selection bias correction method to account for it.

A Hausman test has also revealed that I am required to fit a random effects
model for my analysis. So I was hoping that I could do this within the
Panel-Heckman setting. Am exploring gllamm at the moment but am still quite
unclear on how to go about it as econometrics is not really my forte.

Please let me know if I have given you enough details here, as a typical PhD
wannabe, I usually tend to think everyone knows what i am talking about.

Many thanks

Seema