st: RE: A gentler introduction to Statalist and Seven Deadly Sins

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: A gentler introduction to Statalist and Seven Deadly Sins
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2007 23:20:37 +0100

This is a funny old list at times.

Lee Biernbaum, whom I've never met, feels free to post speculations
about the British and the Americans, touching on my email style in
particular. If I understand him correctly, it includes the thought
that if my emails appear terse and even mildly insulting, the
explanation may be that I am British.

I don't take offence at any of that personally, whether true or not.
But it is easy to imagine that some people might, not least
those who work in British banks.

This all underlines the difficulty of getting this list to
agree on anything much, except that Stata is a pretty good thing.

Only yesterday one member urged strongly that people be
warned against making personal comments, and here they are
spilling all over Lee's message. Naturally I don't like
the idea that any Statalist posting seriously upsets anybody,
but with a thousand messages a month, and with a range of styles
and personalities -- which I take to be Lee's main serious point --
it is going to happen occasionally.

I don't think that the Atlantic has much to do with it,
as styles similar to mine are shared by Stata friends
in several countries, including the United States.
(And it's fitting to remember always that _many_ countries
are represented on this list.)

This thread, and related threads, have raised some
important points, and I felt I needed to reply to Lee,
but otherwise I guess many people prefer that this thread faded away
and that the list focused once more on Stata and statistics.

Biernbaum, Lee