st: RE: destring

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: destring
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2007 22:50:59 +0100

I posted a quasi-tutorial on this general area a short while
back. It may help understanding of the numeric <-> string
conversion problems (and they are problems, not a single
problem).

<http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalist.0707/Author/article-469.html>

There is no reason why -encode- should not be used.
String variables can have embedded numeric characters.
That's absolutely no reason against using -encode-.
It may not help much but it is legal and a practical
possibility.

Otherwise, I think you need to look for substrings
like "200 MG/ML" using -strpos()- (-index()- in
old Stata versions). The string functions are
your friend here.

strpos(drug_1, "200 MG/ML")

will be positive if "200 MG/ML" is included and
zero otherwise.

-destring- is no use to you at all.

I don't understand what an "explore variable" is.
Explanatory?

P chrisman