st: DHS survey data and Logistic regression - Response from Measure DHS

From   Olalekan Uthman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: DHS survey data and Logistic regression - Response from Measure DHS
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:48:27 -0700 (PDT)

Reply from Measure DHS

============
Dear Olalekan,
             Any of these methods are acceptable,
depending on your
knowledge & experience of regressions.
Some analysts prefer to use the weights while others
do not.  For
example, the main author of WP #31 always uses the DHS
weights, while
the author of the DHS Guide to statistics prefers not
to.

I suggest investigating the appropriateness of weights
in regression
analysis to come to a decision that you're comfortable
with.

=============
Method I - From DHS statistics guide:
"Use of sample weights is inappropriate for estimating
relationships, such as regression and correlation
coefficients".

Reference:
http://www.measuredhs.com/help/Datasets/sampling_weights.htm

Method II - From WP #31
"For all models, our analysis accounts
for complex DHS survey design to estimate efficient
regression coefficients and robust standard errors
adjusted for intra-cluster correlation, and
sampling weights are applied in accordance with
standard DHS procedures to ensure the
representativeness of the samples."

Reference:
Mishra, Vinod, et al. 2007. A study of the association
of HIV
infection with wealth in sub-Saharan Africa. DHS
working paper no. 31.
Calverton: Macro International.
http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pub_details.cfm?ID=638

Olalekan Uthman