Re: st: Using 2 stage Heckmen Sample Selection with Lags in STATA

From   "Seema Bhatia" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Using 2 stage Heckmen Sample Selection with Lags in STATA
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:31:23 +0100

Hi there

Thanks for this response - but I am not sure how to carry on. Having done
the Hausman Test, I have to fit a random effects model to study bilateral
trade as a function of gdps, populations, distance, landlockedness,
contiguity, cultural similarities and membership of trade blocs amongst
other things.

My panel contains cross sectional data for 26 country pairs over 21 years. I
will be breaking this panel down into shorter time frames anyway (5 year
periods). However, I have a huge problem related to missing data on the LHS
(bilateral trade) and therefore need to model it. I was hoping that the
answer lies in using the Hechman Sample Selection model - the non random
pattern of the missing values could be modelled using the Heckman two stage
analysis.

Has anyone done this attempted this? I have seen this sample selection
method being used in recent economic literature quite a lot on panels. There
is also possible endogeneity issues within the model which is why lags
(first difference particularly) was something I am interested in looking at.
However, it is a much smaller problem as compared to my problem of missing
data and therefore I need to correct for the latter first.

I would be grateful for further guidance on the issue and would appreciate
any code out there to help me do this.

Seema