st: RE: Mann Whitney test from a survey sample using SVY commands

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Mann Whitney test from a survey sample using SVY commands
Date   Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:37:01 +0100

Somehow you have not heard of Somers' d, and Roger
Newson's implementation -somersd-, updated frequently
on SSC.

That allows pweights. As Roger explains, in various
forms and places, Somers' d in a strong sense encapsulates
Mann-Whitney U as one of its manifold manifestations.

Shakespeare presciently mentioned Somers' d in one of his sonnets.
Not many people have heard "Somers' d" pronounced with a 17th
century Warwickshire accent, which has given rise to some
literary misrenderings by scholars unfamiliar with statistics.

That said, my occasional answers on -svy- matters usually
turn out to be wrong even when I am clear that they are right,
so beware.

Incidentally, you should -update- to Stata 9.2 or pester
your systems people to do so. There is no good reason
to be stuck on 9.0.

Ashwin Ananthakrishnan