Re: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.

From   "Daniel Exeter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.
Date   Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:19:59 +1200

Hi

We've had the same problem, trying to search inside do files for various commands. - in XP only though

The best (fastest, and free) solution is to install Google Desktop.

Under Desktop preferences, add the appropriate network drives you want to be indexed (i.e. if all your code sit's on the "S" drive, it won't be found by the GDS)

Next, go into the 'install plugins' section of the preferences and download "Larry's any text file indexer'

When you've installed it, Notepad opens and gives you a config file to edit. Insert the following lines

# STATA 9 Do files
AddNewExtension "do"
AddNewExtension "ado"

Save the changes and then let google do the first index...

If you search for something like "collapse(sum)" you'll get a list of all the stata do files that contain that piece of code.

Happy searching!

Cheers
Dan