st: re: tosql datatypes

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: tosql datatypes
Date   Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:10:19 -0400

Hendri said

Yes, this looks very good and would make tosql better equiped for
sql. BTW,
another question: how come tosql is so slow? I am running it on a
very fast
server, on a dataset of 22mb and it takes at least an hour (didn't
time it
exactly) to write the 188mb sql file. Is it because of the slow for loop
implementation of stata? Or something else maybe?

I should rewrite the guts of the routine in Mata, which would speed
it up considerably. I will look into doing that; should be quite
straightforward.

In the meanwhile note Maarten's suggestion to 'recast' your variables
as desired (although SQL may not have a 'long' datatype, you can
easily do a global search/replace of 'long' to 'bigint' on the SQL
command file).

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html