RE: st: Stata 10 announcement

Subject   RE: st: Stata 10 announcement
Date   Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:26:09 -0500

At 07:56 AM 6/4/2007, Nick Cox wrote:
This is for StataCorp, but I have to guess
that it is very highly unlikely.

First off, StataCorp _is_ a business. They
really don't want to discourage users from
upgrading, or give them any reason not to
upgrade.
True, but it would still be nice. :) And anything that minimized compatibility problems may make people more likely to upgrade. Microsoft and others have provided freebie conversion utilities for their programs.

Do you then expect Stata 9 to do the right
thing with its time series commands on
those variables? What would be the right
thing? To act like Stata 10? Or do you expect
Stata 9 to ignore all the things it cannot
handle? In that case, the key detail is that
Stata 10 has a -saveold- command. Any friends
who get Stata 10 before you do can share
datasets in that way.
I don't expect Stata 9 to do the right thing analysis-wise. But, given that there is a saveold option, all of these sorts of issues must have already been worked out. I have lots of example data files on my web pages, and it will be kind of a nuisance if I have to remember to saveold all the time. I'm sure Notre Dame will eventually make the conversion to Stata 10, but I tend to move much quickly than the institution does.

Also, now that Stata 10
is announced, I doubt that there will be
any more updates for Stata 9, either
to executable or ados. If you report
a new bug or misfeature, StataCorp will
attend to it at the first available