Re: st: data download

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: data download
Date   Fri, 1 Jun 2007 17:14:08 +0100

On 6/1/07, Sridhar Thapa <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Statalist members
I have problem with data download in stata. I have
STATA 7 version and I have files such as stata do
files, stata.DCT files and DAT.files. I tried to
download it, but I could not do it. I tried from data
import, but not successful. Could anyone give me idea
on how to do it. Thanking you in advance.
"downloading" in its canonical sense would imply to me that you are
attempting to copy something from somewhere on the internet to your
local computer, but this doesn't seem to be the case as you state that
you already have do-files, dictionaries (*.dct) and Stata data files
(*.dta).

As the Statalist FAQ (linked at the bottom of _every_ message on the
list) states under section 3 Hot to use Statalist: advice....

   *   Explain what doesn't work
   * Provide everything up-front
   * Post your code                              <---------- Missing
from your post
   * Do your research beforehand
   * Do your research during
   * Do your research afterwards
   * Don't post the same question repeatedly
   * Follow up after you get an answer
   * Treat the list like people
   * Always consider the answer

Thus for people to offer advice/assistance they would need to know
what you are typing and what Stata is telling you when it doesn't do
as you'd expect.

One obvious problem is that you may be trying to open files that were
saved in a newer version of Stata than you are using.

Beyond that further information is required.

Neil

--
"In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to
them."  - Johann von Neumann

Email - [email protected] / [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/