RE: st: Identifying wave1 respondents in an unbalanced panel

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Identifying wave1 respondents in an unbalanced panel
Date   Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:54:17 +0100

Svend's solution is good. Lovers of brevity will note
that it can be collapsed to a single line:

bysort pid : egen wave1 = max(wave == 1)

where -total()- will do as well as -max()-.

For a more general discussion, see a posting
on selection of panels on 2 April:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/statalist.0704/Author/article-30.html

Suppose you have some response -y-. Its
value for wave 1 can be captured thus:

by pid : egen y1 = total(cond(wave == 1, y, .))

Here -max- and -min- would do as well as total.
If -wave- is never 1 in a panel, you just get missings
everywhere in that panel.

Under way is a revision of

How can I generate a variable relating panel data to a reference panel?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/panelref.html

which extends the discussion to

How can I generate a variable relating panel data to a reference panel or time?

But that may not be ready for some weeks. However, the Stata logic
is the same, really.

Svend Juul