st: Re: Seeking explanation of the internal procedures of -replace- [thanks]

From   Jesper Kj�r Hansen <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Seeking explanation of the internal procedures of -replace- [thanks]
Date   Fri, 25 May 2007 00:53:02 +0200

Michael,

On 2007/05/24 Michael Blasnik wrote:
> Stata works sequentially through the variable in a replace,
> which allows functions such as sum() to accumulate a
> running sum and allows [_n-1] constructs
<snip>
> program define scramble
> version 9.2
> syntax [varlist]
> tempvar hold order rand
> gen long `order'=_n
> foreach var of local varlist {
>  gen `rand'=uniform()
>  gen `hold'=`var'
>  sort `rand'
>  replace `var'=`hold'[`order']
>  drop `rand' `hold'
>  }
> end

thank you for refreshing my memory with
regard to -replace-

You are also right in saying that I don't
need the -clonevar- construct - instead I
just use replace and a temp var (although,
I still use _`var' in place of an actual
temp var, because each run permutes one
_or more_ variables).

To round things off I include a copy of
my current ado file below, in compact form.

/Jesper
*-------------------------------------------*
program define bfsimu, rclass
version 9.2
syntax ...

tempfile ORG bfPERM
tempvar tag dtrank sortorder
marksample touse, strok

qui drop if !`touse'
gen long `sortorder' = _n
keep `sortorder' `Varlist'
sort `sortorder'
qui save `ORG'

forval r = `nextrun'/`reps' {
    qui use `ORG'
    local oldseed "`seed'"

    foreach gr of local nVarlist {
        sort `gr'
        local concat_gr : subinstr local gr " " "+" , all
        mark `tag' if indexnot(`concat_gr',"?") != 0
        set seed `seed'
        qui egen long `dtrank' = rank(uniform()) if `tag' , unique

        qui foreach var of local gr {
            gen _`var' = `var'
            replace `var' = _`var'[`dtrank'] if  `tag'
            local droplist "`droplist' _`var'"
        }

        drop `tag' `dtrank' `droplist'
        local droplist ""
        local seed = c(seed)
    }

    sort `sortorder'
    qui save `bfPERM', replace

    bfsearch `Varlist' , maxvar(`maxvar') `Options'

}
end

-- Jesper Kj�r Hansen
mailto:[email protected]