st: generating variables with panel data

From   Nico <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: generating variables with panel data
Date   Thu, 17 May 2007 18:40:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am sure there is a very simple solution to this
problem, but I don't know what it is...

I have a panel of 50 countries, 14 years, with the
dollar exchange rate being one of the variables.  For
example:

Australia 1990 austexch1990
Australia 1991 austexch1991
Australia 1992 austexch1992
Peru      1990 peruexch1990
Peru      1991 peruexch1991
Peru      1992 peruexch1992
etc.

The problem I am having is that I want to generate a
variable equal to the exchange rate in 2000 for each
country:

Australia 1990 austexch2000
Australia 1991 austexch2000
Australia 1992 austexch2000
Peru      1990 peruexch2000
Peru      1991 peruexch2000
Peru      1992 peruexch2000
etc.

It must be very easy to do, but I don't know how to
specify it.  I don't believe any of the expressions
listed in help for 'egen' serve me either.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan