R: st: Comparing non-parametric bootstrap vs. Monte Carlo

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: Comparing non-parametric bootstrap vs. Monte Carlo
Date   Sun, 13 May 2007 12:23:23 +0200

Dear Martin and Stas,

thanks a lot for Your Kindness and for Your time.

Kind Regards,

Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Stas Kolenikov
Inviato: domenica 13 maggio 2007 11.56
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: Re: st: Comparing non-parametric bootstrap vs. Monte Carlo

Define what you mean by non-parametric Monte Carlo please. The basic
Stata tools you want to check out are -bootstrap- and -simulate-.

If all you want to do is to figure out the differences in sampling
with and without replacement, you might be better off looking up some
sampling literature (like Kish or Cochran classic textbooks on
sampling theory) -- sampling without replacement gets estimates that
are more efficient by a factor of 1-n/N where n is the sample size,
and N is the population size. Sampling with replacement is nicer to
deal with analytically.

Note that performing the bootstrap on the survey samples is difficult
-- see Shao (1996, Statistics) review and the original Rao and Wu
(1988, JASA) articles.

On 5/13/07, Carlo Lazzaro <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dear Statalisters,
>
> I would like to compare the results of a 10,000-size vector non-parametric
> bootstrap simuation performed on the difference of two samples of
healthcare
> costs drawn at patient-level with the results of a Monte Carlo simulation
on
> the same dataset.
> My main aim would be to detect, if any, the difference between sampling
with
> and without reintroduction.
>
> Is there any way with Stata 9 to perform a non-parametric Monte Carlo
> simulation or should I impose a given distribution (uniform? log
normal?)on
> the original data set before starting the simulation?
>
> Thanks a lot for Your Kindness and for Your Time.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Carlo

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name