st: Re: no room to add more variables...

Subject   st: Re: no room to add more variables...
Date   Tue, 08 May 2007 08:25:58 -0400

John Worrall <[email protected]> wrote:
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 3:45 PM
Subject: st: no room to add more variables...
I have a panel dataset of about 3800 cases over 12 years (45625
observations).  I'm estimating fixed effects models, so I assume that
adds unit dummies.  I enter year dummies manually.  I also have some
"growth cells" that are dummies (768 in total).  Altogether, my
variables, unit dummies, year dummies, and growth cells = just shy of
4600 variables.  My system has .99GB Ram.  The data file is 39873KB.  I
have set maxvar, memory, and matsize to various sizes.  I either get
the "no room to add more variables due to width" or it takes an
eternity to run the model--longer than I want to wait.  Any ideas?  Do
I need more memory?
Short answer: Yes.

Better answer: Who knows?

You need to be much more specific and follow Statalist advice to tell us exactly what you typed. What memory settings did you try? What fixed effects estimator are you using? How big is the dataset after you add the "growth cells"? Are those added variables bytes? How long is an "eternity"? Have you closed all other running programs to maximize the physical memory available to Stata? By the way, most (all?) of Stata's fixed effects estimators do not add unit dummies -- the unit effects are conditioned out in the estimation process. So I would guess that you actually have about (4600-3800) 800 variables. No way to really tell what the best settings would be for your machine without more details.

Michael Blasnik
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/