st: GLLAMM Model convergence

From   "Richardson, Kelly K." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: GLLAMM Model convergence
Date   Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:42:29 -0500

Hi Stata Listers,

I am trying to run a GLLAMM model with a random intercept for HRR and a
random coefficient for black race. I have a sample size of 798,565 with
98 HRRs.  There are 30 independent variables. Age and income are
continuously measured but all other variables are dichotomous including
the dependent variable. I thought about collapsing the data but I didn't
have any cases in which multiple patients had the same values on the
independent variables. I used the following code:

gen cons=1
eq hrr_cons: cons
eq hrr_black: race_black
gllamm died_admitp30 age female race_black zip_median~e elix_chf
elix_coagu~t elix_hyper~n elix_pvd elix_fluid~s elix_diabe~s elix_liver
elix_renal~l elix_copd elix_valve elix_obesity hannan97_cvd spec_prima~i
spec_cc_cr~h spec_ami_s~l spec_prevc~g spec_ami_i~t adtype_ele~e
adtype_urg~t adsour_tra~n adsour_eme~m yr9596 yr9798 yr9900 yr0102
yr0304, link(logit) fam(binom) i(hrrcode) nrf(2) eqs(hrr_cons hrr_black)
nip(4) adapt

The program ran for several days and finally the power went out in my
building and, well, I got nothin'. I'm wondering, before I start this
process again, am I running too large of a model? Is my sample size too
big? Is there something wrong with my code? I know the documentation
says these models take awhile to converge but should it be several days?
If my model is too large, what are the limits for GLLAMM models? Should
I do this model in HLM instead? Is it my machine?

I am working with:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Dell Precision PWS670
  Intel(R)
Xeon(TM) CPU 3.80 GHz
2.77 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelly
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kelly K. Richardson, PhD

Data Analyst

Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in
Practice (CRIISP)

Iowa City Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center (152)

601 Highway 6 West

Iowa City, IA  52246-2208

Phone:: (319) 338-0581 ext. 97641

Fax: (319) 887-4932