st: Collapse (sum) observations by two variables?

From   Harriet Baker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Collapse (sum) observations by two variables?
Date   Sat, 14 Apr 2007 21:04:02 -0400

Hello,

I am working on a project with contributors to candidates. I would like to sum contributions within a given geographic area (zip code) to a given candidate. If I only had one candidate, then I would collapse(sum) amount, by (area). However, I have over 1000 candidates in the data. Is there a way that I can collapse sum with two conditions?

My data is structured as follows

Candid Amount Area
1 10 a
1 20 b
1 70 c
1 10 b
2 20 c
2 10 a
2 30 c
2 20 b
3 40 c
3 60 a
3 40 b
3 10 a

I want:

1 a 10
1 b 80
1 c 70
2 a 10
2 b 20
2 c 50

Does anyone know how I might do this? Thank you.

Harriet Baker
Duke University
Political Science
*