Re: st: RE: various fixes to NJC stuff on SSC

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: various fixes to NJC stuff on SSC
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:02:07 +0000

The language I am attempting to use is called
English. I am not responsible for shifts in meaning
in American versions of that language, nor are
Americans responsible for my usages.

I bow to Tom on his interpretation of contemporary
American usage, and I will look at some English dictionaries
on this point. I am naturally keen to confirm
that I was attempting a compliment. After all, without
Kit Baum to post all my bug fixes, where would I be?

Usage of "egregious" triggers memories of my first introduction
to the word in a Latin class, when the corresponding
word arose in translation and my teacher took
delight in pointing out that there was a splendid
English derivative. His argument that learning Latin
was an excellent way to build up your English vocabulary
seemed a bit roundabout to me, sympathetic though
I was to its charms.

Steichen, Thomas J.