st: availability of alternatives for m-c- or n-logit

From   "Stephan Brunow" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: availability of alternatives for m-c- or n-logit
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:17:59 +0100

Dear all,

we want to estimate a multinomial logit model for transport mode choice.
There are some restrictions on the availability of alternatives. E.g. if one
does not own a driver licence the person can not choose car. Therefore we
would like to exclude the car alternative for that individual.
Alternatively, we might use clogit to estimate the model.

Is there some way to exclude alternatives for individuals? Finally, we face
a similar problem in nlogit.

The second question concerns interpretation but we would be glad if someone
might answer the first one. Assuming car is the reference category, how
should one interpret the coefficients for a person without driver license,
for instance.

Many thanks,

Silvia and Stephan