st:Inequality indices with complex survey design (Was: Problem to run Inequal7)

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st:Inequality indices with complex survey design (Was: Problem to run Inequal7)
Date   Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:43:56 -0000

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 03:08:18 -0300
From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Patrick_W=F6hrle_Guimar=E3es?="
<[email protected]>
Subject: st: Problem to run Inequal7

 I�m working with a complex sample and I would like to calculate
measures of inequality - Gini, Theil, etc...When I use - Inequal -
it�s ok but when i try to use inequal7 - the ado - it�s not ok. After
some time - Stata give the msg (there are 9364 value with
<=0..run...run..and nothing). The programa that I�m running is:
gene rendapc = rend_fa1/numfam1 if rend_fa1 < 1000000000
inequal rendapc [fw=peso]
replace rendapc = 0 if rendapc == .
replace rendapc = 0.0000001 if rendapc == 0
inequal rendapc [fw=peso]
 But the problem it�s not a program or value with . or zero - I dont
know what happen!

Patrick
------------------------------

Check that you have the most up-to-date versions of these programs.

But in any case, "complex design" features will be irrelevant for your
calculations (as long as you weight the data), because complex design
features affect Std Errors, but not point estimates.  The programs you
cite calculate point estimates.

If you really want to calculate estimates, and their standard errors,
then I recommend:

-ineqdeco- or -ineqdec0- (Gini, generalised entropy indices including
Theil) (-ssc install ineqdeco-, -ssc install ineqdec0-.  Standard
errors can be derived using -bootstrap-

-svygei- and -svyatk-   provide estimates of  generalised entropy and
Atkinson indices with linearised Std errors (-ssc install
svygei_svyatk-)

-svylorenz- provides estimates of Gini, Lorenz and generalised Lorenz
ordinates, with linearised std errors (-ssc install svylorenz-)

For applications, look e.g. at

    Jenkins, S.P. 2006. Estimation and interpretation of measures of
inequality, poverty, and social welfare using
        Stata. Presentation at North American Stata Users' Group
Meetings 2006, Boston MA.
        http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/bocasug06/16.htm

and also

http://www.stata.com/meeting/12uk/uksug2006_jenkins.pdf

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk
Survival Analysis using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/teaching/degree/stephenj/ec968/
Downloadable papers and software: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje7.html