Re: st: counting events

From   Ana Gabriela Guerrero Serdan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: counting events
Date   Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:42:48 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I included only the ones that died.  I have more
than 50,000 observations, I didnt list them all here
but I cannot use tab, so its also difficult to
generate a variable and replace, I assume to have
thousands of events.

I have tried already using the egen function. But
since I have mix non-numericals and numbers for each
type of incident it somehow doesnt count the number of
events.

 But I will look into the ssc distinct events.

Doing what you suggested gives me the following:
. egen event = group(incident)

. list count incident event

       +--------------------------+
       | count   incident   event |
       |--------------------------|
    1. |     1       x007    5145 |
    2. |     2       x038    5175 |
    3. |     3       x038    5175 |
    4. |     4       x038    5175 |
    5. |     5       x038    5175 |
       |--------------------------|
    6. |     6       x038    5175 |
    7. |     7       x038    5175 |
    8. |     8       x038    5175 |
    9. |     9       x038    5175 |
   10. |    10       x038    5175 |
   11. |    11       x038    5175 |
   12. |    12       x038    5175 |
   13. |    13       x038    5175 |
   14. |    14       x038    5175 |
   15. |    15       x038    5175 |

I does assign a different number to each event but it
does it from the botton to top.

thanks,

Gaby