st: RE: Re: ivreg2

From   "Mortal, Sandra C." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: ivreg2
Date   Sun, 4 Feb 2007 13:41:52 -0600

Hi Kit,
 Thanks for all your help.
 Sandra

Sandra Mortal
Assistant Professor of Finance
516 Cornell Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Office: (573) 884-1684
Fax:    (573) 884-6296

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Kit Baum
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 8:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: ivreg2

1) That sounds sensible.
2) As I understand it the distribution of the S-Y critical values differ
depending on, among other things, the underlying estimator. So I would
not make much of the fact that the CVs differ between IV-GMM and LIML.
3) In the context of a single FSR, the notion that the ANOVA F should
exceed 10 is a rule of thumb suggesting that the FSR is reasonably
strong. The first example in ivreg2 help shows a model with a single
endogenous regressor for which F = 13.79 (zero pvalue). The Anderson
canon. corr. LR stat. is 54, with a pvalue of 0, ad the Cragg-Donald min
eigenvalue stat is 56, with a pvalue of zero. The null for each of these
tests is underidentification, with rejection indicating that the model
is identified. The latest version of ivreg2 (soon to be
released) reformats these results to make the underlying hypotheses
clear. However that same model has a significant Sargan test statistic,
suggesting that the overidentifying restrictions are soundly rejected by
the data. This implies that the instruments are inadequate and must be
replaced. So you can have sufficiently strong instruments but still fail
the Sargan (or Hansen J, in IV-GMM) test.
I would worry about that in your model.

Kit

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html