st: Suggestions for hsearch

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Suggestions for hsearch
Date   Mon, 29 Jan 2007 04:50:53 -0600

Stata's -hsearch- program usefully searches help files in the ado directories. I would like to suggest a possible improvement to Statacorp, to expand the -build- option to optionally include specified directories and subdirectories, and to allow searches in restricted directories.

I usually keep my Stata projects in subdirectories of c:\statdata (my main Stata analysis directory). I try to write a help file for each project. So it would be useful to me to be able to extend hsearch to additional directories. In addition, it would helpful to restrict the search to a subset of directories, once the index is built.

One additional suggestion is to have an -only- option (only(fw)), essentially an -if- clause. If I am interested in this search:

hsearch death dead failure mortality

I get 131 matches. But I am only interested in help files that I have written. If I add my name to the match, the number of files found increases to 297, of which 197 have my name in them.

So perhaps the command could be:

hsearch death dead failure mortality,only(wordlist)

Meaning, only display matches that contain all of the words in the wordlist.

Thanks,

Fred Wolfe

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
Tel +1 316 263 2125

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/