st: reading data from ftp site?

From   "Paulo Guimaraes" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: reading data from ftp site?
Date   Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:31:24 -0500

Dear Stata users,

I would like to know if it is possible to read data directly from an ftp
site.
My interest in this is because I need to access some flat files at the BLS
web site.
Right now what I do is to open the file in my web browser and then save it
and insheet it into Stata.
For example, to read the employment time series for the state of Alabama I
need to open the file in my web browser
with the command:
ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/time.series/sm/sm.data.1.Alabama
and then save it and read it into Stata.
Is it possible to read the data directly from within Stata?

thank you

Paulo Guimaraes
Division of Research
Moore School of Business