RE: st: RE: pooled ols interpretation, thanks

From   "White, Justin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: pooled ols interpretation, thanks
Date   Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:23:12 -0500

What I am saying is "If you are saying that is the impact of a year of
education plus the impact of the year being 1991"

That is why I made reference to the year in my statement.

Justin White

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael
Blasnik
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 2:14 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: pooled ols interpretation, thanks

Here is your last sentence:

Without knowing the constant, you could say that an increase in 1 year
of
education in 1991 results in a (0.12+0.08 = 0.20) 20% increase in family

income.

You have added together the coefficients for a year dummy and education
and
claimed that this is the marginal effect of a year of education.  That
is
incorrect.  If you are saying that is the impact of a year of education
plus
the impact of the year being 1991 rather than the omitted reference
year,
then you are correct, but that is not how I read that statement (and
what
would the constant have to do with any of this anyway?).

Michael Blasnik