st: RE: AW: RE: AW: RE: Panel re vs. fe model

Subject   st: RE: AW: RE: AW: RE: Panel re vs. fe model
Date   Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:20:13 -0000

Tom,

The standard Hausman test for FE vs. RE is exactly the same thing as the Sargan (overidentifying restrictions) statistic in the quasi-demeaned regression that gives you the RE estimates.  More precisely, the Wald test using -testparm- as in your code is asymptotically equivalent to an LM-type Sargan stat.

The underlying concepts are the same, too - using extra orthogonality conditions to get increased efficiency, etc.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK