RE: st: RE: joint significant

From   "White, Justin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: joint significant
Date   Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:26:05 -0500

The H0 is the null hypothesis and H1 is the alternative hypothesis.
Sometimes the notation can be different.  It can be H0 is the null and
Ha is the alternative.  I always thought the H0 and Ha notation was more
intuitive than the H0 and H1.

In this case, the null hypothesis (H0) is B2=B3=B4=0.
The alternative hypothesis (H1) is the estimated coefficients (Bi) are
not jointly equal to zero.

Therefore, if you reject the null, you automatically accept the
alternative which means the estimated coefficients are jointly
significantly different from zero.

If the fail to reject the null, then you are effectively accepting the
null to be true and the estimated coefficients are jointly
insignificantly different from zero.

The joint test is different from the variable-specific test (T-test).
Just because the F-test tells us that the variables are jointly
different from zero does not imply that all of the estimated
coefficients are different from zero independently.  You use a T-test to
determine the significance of an individual variable and use the F-test
for joint tests.

I hope this helps.

Justin White