re: st: Alternatives to generate output from Stata results

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re: st: Alternatives to generate output from Stata results
Date   Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:02:11 -0600

This would be a good stub for a Stata Wiki page.

I personally think estout (by Ben Jann) is the best for reformatting. It is very flexible, but the author had been very responsive to suggestions to also make it easy to use, and he provides Stata- quality documentation. It is continuously developed.

Some of the commands you list suggest you not only want reformatting, but maybe to send many results to a file. In that case, look at parmest (by Roger Newson) and associated commands. Roger also provides excellent documentation.

-Dave

I'm afraid that my question might be along the lines of "which is your
favourite colour", but I would be happy about some short insight.

Generating output, primarily from panel regressions by -xtreg- , I found a
heap of programs which seem to do all the same thing, like:

-outreg- , -xml_tab- , -estout- ,-outsheet-
plus some more alternatives mentioned in -estout- helpfile.

Could anyone shed some light on weaknesses/strength of some of the
alternatives or point out which is easy to handle in my context?

Thanks.
- Tom