st: re: odd "repeated time values" error in glm

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: odd "repeated time values" error in glm
Date   Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:23:53 -0500

Clive reports

I've recreated the problem using one of Stata 9's toy datasets. Below,
-unemp- is the unemployment rate and -region- is a continuous variable with
no upper limit:

. webuse productivity, clear
(Public Capital Productivity)

. tsset state year
panel variable: state (strongly balanced)
time variable: year, 1970 to 1986

. glm unemp state public, link(logit) vce(hac nwest 1) t(year) robust eform
repeated time values in sample
r(451);

I believe all that you are seeing is that although -glm- knows how to compute a Newey-West covariance matrix, it does not know how to do so in the context of panel data. For that matter, neither does -newey-. David Roodman's -newey2- is better behaved---it works with panel data---but as Clive pointed out everything -newey2- can do, -ivreg2- can do (and then some).

I am not familiar with the help on -glm-, but I imagine the manual entry nowhere claims that the 'nwest' suboption works in a panel context. Perhaps it should clearly state that this is so if it is the case.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/