Re: st: Drawing confidence limit lines

From   "roland andersson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Drawing confidence limit lines
Date   Fri, 12 Jan 2007 23:14:08 +0100

This is not really what I want. I want to draw lines along the x-axis
that show the limit of the 90 and 95% confidence interval for a
mortality of 0.15% at increasing number of operations. I than will
plot the results of each hospital. This will show the widening CI for
the smaller hospitals and the distance from this CI line of each
hospital in relation to the number of operations performed, I have
used "by hospital: ci mortality, poisson" to calculate the CI for each
hospital. I could plot these CI for each hospital to show the
hospitals which has a lower CI above the mean, but I want rather the
CI lines for the mean mortality and plot the hospitals as points.

Roland Andersson

2007/1/12, Maarten buis <[email protected]>:
--- roland andersson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I want to plot mortality results for 40 hospitals and include 90% and
> 95% confidence interval lines, with number of operations along the
> x-axis and mortality along the y-axis. The mean mortality for all
> patients is  0.15% .

Have a look at (Newson 2003). A prepublication draft can be downloaded
from http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/

Newson R. Confidence intervals and p-values for delivery to the end
user. The Stata Journal 2003; 3(3): 245-269.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam