Re: st: how does insheet determine datatypes?

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how does insheet determine datatypes?
Date   Tue, 09 Jan 2007 14:21:32 -0500

I'd like to add a little tangential comment.

Insheet, at least as it has been up to Stata 8, behaves ungracefully if the second line contains var lables (and var names are in the first line), which is how some raw datasets are composed. In this case, you get everything as string -- usually very long ones. And the var names in the raw data are ignored; you get default names v1, v2, etc.. And what were supposed to be the var names and labels end up as data in the first and second observations.

If you encounter this situation, you may want to use -convert_top_lines-.
ssc install convert_top_lines

This doesn't fix -insheet-, but cleans up the mess afterwards.

(I don't know if -insheet- has become more graceful in Stata 9; I haven't yet made that leap.)

HTH.

--David