Re: st: Preserve vs Save

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Preserve vs Save
Date   Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:00:45 +0000 (GMT)

--- Claude Francoeur <[email protected]> wrote:
> I do not understand the difference between the "preserve" and "save"
> commands. I just started a new project, copied and pasted from an
> Excel sheet into Stata 9 data editor and saved the file as *.dta.
> Should I "preserve" my data?

-preserve- is a temporary solution for within one session of stata.
-save- is a permanent solution that continues to exist after you close
stata.

-preserve is thus useful if you want to change the data just to do some
calculations but don't care enough for this changed data to store it
permanently, and after you're done with the computations move back to
your original data.

So in your case you probably don't want to -preserve- your data.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam