Re: st: Using gen / egen in one step (not two)

From   "Sergio Correia" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using gen / egen in one step (not two)
Date   Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:50:12 -0500

Jeremy,

I don't think you can't do it in one line. Even if you could, I think
that it would be a bad idea for more advanced uses of -egen-. Imagine
trying to understand (or even program!) something like:

egen x = 2+5*log(seq(), from(1) to(10) by(region))

On the other hand, with -generate- you can mix all the functions you
want, like in:
generate x = 3 * (price + mpg) / 2

Which is similar to what you did, except for the treatment of missing values.

Cheers,
Sergio