st: clogit: interacting chooser characteristics with choice characteristics

From   John Fulton <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: clogit: interacting chooser characteristics with choice characteristics
Date   Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:42:50 -0500

Hi. Thanks for the great feedback on my previous question.
I'm using clogit as McFadden's choice model, and
I want to identify the effects of a common feature of a subset of my alternatives.
Then I want to interact this with individual characteristics to see if different choosers
pick different broad classes of alternatives.

To start, I assume it is reasonable to enter common group features into my data as a single dummy variable.
E.G:
alt: char:
1 0 2 1
3 0
4 1
alternatives 2 and 4 possess the attribute, while 1 and 3 do not.

Then, I interact the "char" variable with an indicator variable for the chooser, e.g., race. This chooser-characteristic is constant within "group", but because the indicator variable for the alternatives is not, the coefficient doesn't drop out.

I am worried, because as I read the literature, I have not found anyone employing this approach. Is this legitimate? Please help me find ways to think about this.

Thanks,
John.

*
* For searches and help try: