Re: st: svy commands & weights with xtmixed

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: svy commands & weights with xtmixed
Date   Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:55:16 -0500

On Dec 17, 2006, at 7:26 PM, Sarah Gill wrote:

I am attempting to carry out multi-level modelling using Stata 9.0 xtmixed regression functions using longitudinal household panel data.

I have found that 1) The svy function that I have used for regression analyses in the past with cross-sectional datasets does not appear to support any of the newer xt functions, and 2) xtmixed does not appear to support weights.

Has anyone come across a way to successfully analyse stratified data and/or use pweights with xtmixed?

Any informative will be greatly appreciated

Sarah:

The xt commands DO support pweights, at least in Stata 9.2. The estimates should therefore be unbiased for the population values, even if strata are not specified. However standard errors will be model-based. GLLAMM supports pweights and a cluster option for a variable that does not appear in the model. In XTMMIXED you could model PSU as the highest level random effect.

This still leaves the problem that standard deviations may vary between strata. In GLLAMM you can apparently specify that variances differ between categories that need not appear as fixed effects (Section 1.1.1 of the GLLAMM manual). You may also be able to do this in XTMIXED by including a different random effect for each stratum at the appropriate level of the multi-level model.

Steve
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/