Re: st: analyzing clustered data

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: analyzing clustered data
Date   Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:12:08 -0500

On Dec 15, 2006, at 5:17 PM, Cathy L. Antonakos wrote:

I have survey data from medical workers in ICUs. There are 462 surveys altogether, from 25 ICU's, in 8 hospitals. There is no explicit survey sampling plan, so I believe I have to choose between using multilevel modeling, and using clustered robust standard errors (ref: UCLA Stata Library "Analyzing Correlated (Clustered) Data"). I am planning to use clustered robust standard errors. (The intra-class correlation is .24.)

Although most of the variables in the regression model are at the level of medical worker, there are 3 that are not. Two are ICU- level variables (unit type, average patient risk score), and one is hospital-level (hospital size).

I have little experience with this, so I am wondering if the following is correct.
(1) Get robust standard errors by identifying "ICU" as the main clustering variable. (2) Include in the regression model the variables "unit-type," "average patient risk score" and "hospital size" as control/independent variables.

Cathy, I strongly suggest that you seek guidance at the Michigan Survey Research Center or Center for Statistical Consultation or the Department of Biostatistics. I will ask you some of the questions that an expert consultant might ask.

Questions: What is the purpose of the study? Do the eight hospitals constitute the "target population"? Do they represent a larger population of hospitals? Were they a sample of a larger population? (The last two questions are NOT equivalent!) What time-periods do the data represent? Are the periods sampled or fixed? Are time or calendar trends possible? Are some outcomes related to the length of stay in the ICU, and what is the relation of this to risk score? Do you expect differences by shift? Were the surveys from a sample of medical workers? What kind of sample? What were the response rates? What characteristics were related to nonresponse. Would weighting be helpful to better represent the population of workers?

The answer to these questions are important. for example, if you are concerned only about the eight study hospitals, then "hospital" will be a stratum variable. If, however, the study hospitals represent others, then they may a first-level PSU, and ICU will be the second- level PSU. The proper approach might be a full multilevel model with fixed and random coefficients for ICU and ICU-level variables and, possibly, for hospital and hospital-level variables. You have to decide if you will use STATA's survey commands or others.

I think that you need faculty-level consultation to help you to clarify your purpose, decide on your approach, and carry it out.

Steven

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/