st: analyzing clustered data

From   "Cathy L. Antonakos" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: analyzing clustered data
Date   Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:17:55 -0500 (EST)

I have survey data from medical workers in ICUs. There are 462 surveys altogether, from 25 ICU's, in 8 hospitals. There is no explicit survey sampling plan, so I believe I have to choose between using multilevel modeling, and using clustered robust standard errors (ref: UCLA Stata Library "Analyzing Correlated (Clustered) Data"). I am planning to use clustered robust standard errors. (The intra-class correlation is .24.)

Although most of the variables in the regression model are at the level of medical worker, there are 3 that are not. Two are ICU-level variables (unit type, average patient risk score), and one is hospital-level (hospital size).

I have little experience with this, so I am wondering if the following is correct.
(1) Get robust standard errors by identifying "ICU" as the main clustering variable. (2) Include in the regression model the variables "unit-type," "average patient risk score" and "hospital size" as control/independent variables.

It's the 2nd point I'm really unsure about.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Cathy Antonakos

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/