st: RE: swaic, different models achieved with forward vs. backward

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: swaic, different models achieved with forward vs. backward
Date   Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:27:08 -0000

The authors may have a take on this, but my rules
of thumb here are

1. To note that if it makes a difference, your
model choice is fragile. The attitude should be
not to identify which model is best, but to compare models
that appear about equally good and wonder why.

2. To re-read the section on stepwise in Frank Harrell's
book on "Regression modeling strategies" whenever
I think of doing anything stepwise.

Michael McCulloch