Re: st: Adjusted odds ratio

From   "beanie clo" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Adjusted odds ratio
Date   Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:13:27 +0000

Thanks!

Claudia

From: Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Adjusted odds ratio
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:51:58 +0000 (GMT)

--- beanie clo <[email protected]> wrote:
> What is the odds ratio for a change of 1 standard deviation in
> the X variable (a continuous variable)?

Easiest way is to divide X by it's standard deviation, so a unit change
in the new X variable is a standard deviation change. I find that
spending some extra time to make sure that a unit change in each
variable is meaningfull to me, is usually time well spent. In your case
you apperently prefer a standard deviation, I ususally like the range
of the variable, for instance I am often comparing persons with the
lowest socioeconomic status with people with the highest socioeconomic
status, which I find easier to talk about then standard deviations.

hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam