st: metan v9 update

From   RJ Harris <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: metan v9 update
Date   Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:08:25 -0000

Dear Stata users

Thanks to Kit Baum, an updated version of the meta-analysis package -metan- is now available from the SSC archive.

In addition to providing a comprehensive range of options for meta-analysis of 2x2 tables and of mean differences, these routines provide methods for the meta-analysis of summary (aggregate) data (for example the log odds ratio and its standard error) from each study. Tests of the null hypothesis that the summary treatment effect is null are reported, as well as a test for heterogeneity (whether the true effect in all studies is the same). Heterogeneity is also quantified using the I-squared statistic (Higgins et al 2003).

The original code for -metan- was written by Mike Bradburn, Jon Deeks and Doug Altman. Those of you familiar with the original -metan- command as updated over the years will find everything works much as it used to. As before, the results may be displayed graphically in a forest plot, and the -by- option may be used to produce and display results in subgroups. However, the graph routines have now been completely re-written and several new features added:

� Version 9 graphics: it is possible to use Stata 9 graphics options to change all aspects of the forest plot
� Flexible, tabular display with the option to display addition columns of data on either side of the forest plot
� Summary results from meta-analyses using two different methods may be displayed together in the forest plot. Alternatively, summary estimates may be suppressed.
� The predictive distribution of random effects analyses may be displayed as an extended confidence interval as described by Higgins and Thompson (2006)

All of these features (and more) are explained in the help file, which contains several clickable examples showing the use of the new command.

To install -metan-, please type:

-ssc install metan-

and to view the help file

-help metan-

Comments and suggestions are welcome, and should be sent to [email protected].

We are grateful to Patrick Royston (MRC Clinical Trials Unit, London UK) and to Vince Wiggins and Jeff Pitblado (StataCorp) for extensive advice and suggestions. We hope that the new features are useful.

Best wishes,

Ross Harris, Roger Harbord and Jonathan Sterne
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol UK
www.epi.bris.ac.uk