Re: st: Socio-economic multi-variable analysis

From   "Gustaf Rydevik" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Socio-economic multi-variable analysis
Date   Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:38:41 +0300

On 12/8/06, Todd Swarthout <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello.

I sent this before (3 december) but have yet to see the query on the
statalist discussion. How long does it usually take??

I'm a bit new to all this, so this query may seem a bit basic, but: I
have a STATA database from a household survey recently completed in
southern Africa (n=350). Within the questionanire I have 11 queries
having to do with household economics, answered 'no' or 'yes' (coded 0
and 1, respectively). For example, 'Can the household afford to buy meat
at least one time per week?' Can someone help with a STATA command to
tell me which questionnaires have 1 or 2 or 3, etc 'yes' responses
within these 11 questions...I want to eventually define a threshold of
poverty within the sample. Thanks

Todd

Unless I'm missing something...

gen NumYesAnswers=question1+question2+question3+question4+question5+question6+question7+question8+question9+question10+question11

,should give what you want, no? The number of "yes"-answers to the
questions for each household.

/Gustaf

ps:Where in Africa are you working? I'm with the Iganga DSS in Uganda. ds.

--
email:[email protected]
tel: +46(0)703051451