st: Probability and z statistic

From   Deidra Young <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Probability and z statistic
Date   Tue, 05 Dec 2006 21:04:12 +0800

Dear List & Nick,

I am interested in a simple solution to asking Stata to calculate the
p-value and z statistic for comparing two groups by ordinal categorical
variables (mostly three to five categories).  When I use the the following
(in Stata 9):

tab autism kerr, all

Where autism is a variable denoting two groups of people and kerr is a
ordered severity score for a clinical symptom, the chi square test is
inappropriate due to the ordering of kerr (0 1 2 3) ranking the severity of
symptoms. This means that the Kendall tau-b score is more appropriate as a
measure and the approximate standard error is provided.  But how can I
insert a command to request the calculation of the p value for this (similar
to the ktau procedure, but in the tab context above).

I have been working on this today and am perplexed about how to automate
this.  There seems to be an ado file for this available, but that is a
little more complicated than necessary.  Also, I am new to ado files (not
tried one yet but have been looking at how to do these).

I wondered if I should try the new tabout.ado but I must print off the
tutorial first.  It looks like a good program!  (but not for producing p
values).

I'm sure Nick can help me, but have I provided sufficient info?

Regards,

Deidra

Deidra Young, PhD
Senior Research Fellow
Epidemiology Branch
Population Sciences Division
Telethon Institute for Child Health Research
100 Roberts Rd  Subiaco  Western Australia  6008
PO Box 855  West Perth, Western Australia 6872

Australian Rett Syndrome Study
phone:  +61 8 9489-7789
fax:    +61 8 9489-7700
Mobile: 0401 107 164