RE: st: Generalised interval regression

Subject   RE: st: Generalised interval regression
Date   Mon, 04 Dec 2006 13:08:33 -0500

At 10:14 AM 12/4/2006, Maarten Buis wrote
With such a dependent variable, I would look at -intreg-. If you want to
think that the effects for the different intervals differ, then you think
that the effect isn't linear in the latent variable (hours of activity per
week). If you specify the functional form you expect that effect to have,
you could make some progress along those lines, i.e. build your own
likelihood function. However, I would at least start with just -intreg- and
the assumption of a linear effect on hours of activity.
Now that I think about it, let me second the suggestion of Maarten and others, and add a recommendation that you read the reference manual entry on intreg. That entry shows (a) how to test the appropriateness of the intreg model, e.g. you can do a contrast between oprobit and intreg, and (b) if intreg is problematic, it suggests transforming the dv, e.g. take the logs of the interval boundaries. If the goal is "to give different effects for explanatory variable according to the levels in the dependent" then taking logs or doing some other transformation of Y may accomplish this goal.

Again, I've never heard of a "generalised interval regression model" but if there is a literature on it I'd like to see it and might even be willing to take a crack at programming it. But, I'm not smart enough just to do it on my own! In the absence of a clear idea on how to proceed with your original idea, I would either work on salvaging intreg or just going with an oprobit or goprobit model.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]